As of summer 2018, School of Public Health reports are available for the following types of student data: admissions, incoming students, current students, and graduate students. These reports are created using Tableau software, and will be used by all SPH staff and faculty for unified, consistent, reliable data and reporting.
This guide explains the most commonly used features in the SPH Tableau data reports. For more in-depth Tableau training, visit the U of MN Tableau User Group's Tableau training and learning resource page.
Where does the data come from?
Most of the data in the initial reports derive from applicant data in SID and data from the UMN Data Warehouse. The data is refreshed automatically on a nightly basis.
SPH Data Dictionary
For SPH data definitions, visit the SPH Data Dictionary at http://z.umn.edu/sphdefinitions.
SPH Tableau definitions
- Project folder: A project folder contains a collection of Workbooks by subject area.
- Workbook: A Workbook is a collection of multiple Dashboards.
- Dashboard: A Dashboard is a collection of two or more visual charts, graphs, or data tables.
Access the reports
Visit the School of Public Health Data and Reports. If prompted, log in with your U of MN Internet ID and password.
Select the sub-folder you want to access (e.g., Admissions, Graduates, Students) by clicking on the "workbooks" icon as as depicted in the Admissions example below:
If the project folders or other content are displaying too largely or small on your screen, utilize your browser's zoom functionality as needed (e.g., PC: Ctrl + or Ctrl - or Mac: command + or command - ).
If your list of project folders and workbooks aren't already in thumbnail view, switch by clicking on the thumbnail icon toward the upper right of the page.
Navigate throughout the School of Public Health Data and Reports content by using the breadcrumb trail at the top of the page.
To stay within the School of Public Health Data and Reports content, do not click on Home within the breadcrumb trail, which will bring you back to the landing page of the entire SPH Tableau Server site. However, if you do click Home, navigate back into the School of Public Health Data and Reports project folder by clicking on its project folder icon in the lower left.
Navigate between dashboards / views within a single Workbook by clicking on the tabs at the top of the workbook, as depicted below. Note that you must scroll to the top of a given dashboard in order to see and navigate via these tabs.
Many of the School of Public Health Data and Reports workbooks contain separate dashboards for the following:
- State of Residency
For definitions on the above demographics options, visit the SPH Data Dictionary.
Interact with reports
You can filter the data results by using the drop down menus at the top of each dashboard as depicted in the example below. Note: Selections in one filter will reset the available options for the other filters within the dashboard. For example, if you select a certain term of interest, then the list of available majors will update to only reflect the majors that are applicable / available for the selected term.
Tooltips contain summary information when hovering over a specific location in a given chart. By clicking on that location, the options of Keep Only and Exclude appear, allowing one to further filter that particular chart by retaining or excluding that particular data point.
If you notice a small paperclip icon in the tooltip or elsewhere (which allows one to "ungroup" a given selection), please do not utilize this feature:
Lastly, note that if you click onto a cell but don't want to retain that selection, simply uncheck the cell.
Undo, Redo, Revert
The Undo, Redo, and Revert options, located toward the upper left of the page, allow you to modify your filter selections. The Undo option allows you to undo your previous action, redo will redo that undone action, and revert will restore the given dashboard to its original state and filter selections.
Refresh and Pause
You might notice Refresh and Pause options toward the upper left of the page. Please do not click on these database-related options.
To sort content within a given chart, click on the sort icon:
Hover over the map to view the map toolbar. This toolbar includes search and zoom options (+ and -). Hold down the Shift key to "click and drag" the map, or utilize the pan option in the toolbar as depicted below.
Note that using your mouse's scroll wheel while hovering over a map will result in the map to zoom in or out, perhaps inadvertently. Therefore, to "reset" the map to its original size, click on the toolbar's "home" icon.
Click on a line within the graph or an option within the graph's color key in order to select ("Keep Only") or Exclude a particular metric of interest. Note that the solid lines within the line graphs represent actual figures, whereas the dotted lines are trends.
How to utilize "Favorites"
The Favorites option allows you to easily locate your most frequently utilized workbooks or dashboards. To "favorite" a workbook, click on the star underneath the workbook's name while in the landing page for given workbook.
To "favorite" a specific dashboard, click on the star at the end of the breadcrumb trail.
As another option, while viewing thumbnails or a list of workbooks or dashboards, click on the favorites star next to the content of interest.
To remove a favorite, uncheck the star for the given content.
To search for and view favorites, click on the star icon in the upper right of the page.
The Subscribe option (in the upper right toolbar) allows you to setup a subscription in order to receive an e-mailed snapshot of an entire workbook or dashboard (or "view") on a regular interval, without having to log in to Tableau Server. For more information, visit https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/online/en-us/subscribe_user.htm.
Depending on your permissions, you have the ability to download and view underlying summary data or detailed data. Note that the ability to download underlying data is for the purpose of drilling down into the reports, in order to identify groups of students for a specific purpose, for example (e.g., to generate contact list), rather than the creation of separate or redundant ad hoc reports.
To download underlying data, first note how most of the reports consist of more than one chart or graph. Therefore:
- Click somewhere on the specific chart or graph for which you'd like to download its data.
- Next, click on the Download drop down toward the upper right-hand corner of the Dashboard.
- In the Download drop down, select the option of Crosstab or Data. Note:
- While Crosstab presents data in a more user-friendly manner, it only provides tabular data for the data that is presented in the view (i.e., for those with permissions to download detailed data, using this option doesn't give you access to the underlying data). Therefore, use Crosstab if you want to download the data, but use the Data option if you want the underlying data that makes up what is in a given chart.
- For those individuals with access to download detailed data, note that two tabs will appear after selecting the Data option: Summary and Full Data. To view the full detailed data, click on the Full Data tab, and then check the "Show all columns" check box.
- Directory suppression: If downloaded data is being utilized for contact purposes such as event planning, to form study groups, and so on, then utilize the DIR_SUPPRESS field to identify records for exclusion.
Alternately, if you're interested in downloading data for a specific data point of interest (e.g., a specific number or count within a table or graph):
- Click on the individual data point of interest.
- A small pop-up will display with options including "Keep Only" and "Exclude." Click on the third option, which is a small "View Data" icon toward the far-right.
Lastly to download a static image of a given dashboard, select the Image or PDF option, which can be utilized for printing as well.
Accessing reports on a mobile device
To view School of Public Health Data and Reports on your mobile device, you can download and install the Tableau Mobile app.
- To sign in from the app, type in tableau.ahc.umn.edu for the Server Name. A "Connect" option should appear. Click on this. (Do not click on "Connect to Tableau Online" option).
- Log in with your U of MN Internet ID and password.
- If prompted for Duo Two Factor authentication, follow the prompts. If experiencing issues with the push method, try another method such as a call.
- If presented with a Select a Site option, select School of Public Health.
Note that in order to view Favorites, you must have workbook(s) and/or dashboard(s) "favorited" (refer to instructions above).
For more information on the Tableau Mobile app, please visit: https://www.tableau.com/products/mobile.
- For questions about the content of a given report, contact the individual listed on the FAQ tab of the given workbook.
- For more information about Tableau, visit Tableau's website at https://www.tableau.com/support/help.
- For questions or more information about the AHC Tableau Server, visit http://z.umn.edu/ahctableau.
- For all other questions or to provide feedback on any of the reports, please e-mail email@example.com.